Monday, December 21, 2009

The Decade Awards

I’ve got to be honest, I’m really scared about next year. If The Pounceys, Hernandez, Haden, and Dunlap go, we’re SOL. It could be one of the biggest downfalls in history. There have been some disappointing downfalls we’ve watched in the past century: Van Halen, the 90’s Chicago Bulls, The Mega Powers, Freddie Mercury’s t-cell count, and of course the Dungeon of Doom. Maybe I’m paranoid and Urban is indeed the real deal. If he puts 10 wins together next year, I’ll bow down and call him the greatest coach of all time. Our offense will be better next year; it has to be or we will have a losing season on our hands and I hate to be quoted on that.
What’s happened with this country? Everything is so PC now that it’s not fun to be American anymore. Whatever happened to the days when you could say Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays or use the word niggardly when commenting on an African American co-workers good use of company funds? Again I mention that this is a blog written by blacks so it’s okay. Now coaches can’t touch their players. What the hell? Jim Leavitt is in trouble for roughing up one of his players in the locker room. Give me a break. Sometimes a coach has to slap a player around a bit to send a message to the team. In the 1980’s it was not uncommon for a coach to go so far as to sexually abuse his players in the locker room shower to motivate the team. There’s a reason my third grade soccer team was 8 and 0. It’s called good coaching.
I love that the Big 10 and Pac 10 are thinking of expanding. I’m not actually going to trash these garbage conferences. I love this part of college football and I think it’s so intriguing. If I were running the Pac 10, I’d add Fresno State and Utah. The Big 10 is not quite so easy. There are no real front runners. Would they draw from the Big East? Pittsburgh or Cincy would be the only fit geographically. Louisville and Iowa State are also possibilities. While I’m at it, the Big East certainly needs to expand but they’ve ruined it because of their basketball affiliations. They’re not going to draw any legitimate school that will join the conference for only football. ECU, Marshall or UCF would be good choices to expand that conference in football but unfortunately the basketball side of things is getting in the way. I’d love to change the SEC as well. I’d add UNC and Georgia Tech to the East while subtracting Vandy and Kentucky. Sorry UK but your basketball history can go stink up the ACC where the hard-court comes first.
I think Charlie Strong made a mistake. For whatever reason, I don’t see him being a great head coach. Ideally I wanted UF to pay him off as the highest paid coordinator in the business and keep this thing going. There would have been little pressure on him. Also I don’t think he made a good choice in Louisville. Kentucky is not exactly a hotbed of talent. Why is it that when I hear the word “hotbed” I think of racism? Example: Bithlo, Florida is a hotbed for Ku Klux Klan activity. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me. Now that I mentioned overt racism, who can forget Keifer Sutherland’s role in A Time to Kill?
While I’m mentioning poor hiring, I can’t help but think Notre Dame effed it up again. They replaced offense with offense. Call me crazy but Weis should have stayed and they should have pony’d up for a great defensive coordinator. Brian Kelly won back to back Big East titles which I guess means something but they are trying to hire the next Urban Meyer and Kelly is definitely not that. Hopefully ND doesn’t get too excited if he starts next year with a 3 loss season and then extends his contract to 10 years. That was so ridiculous; how do you justify that?
I’ve read that Tiger Woods was named the AP’s athlete of the decade. This is total bullshit as golf takes minimal athletic ability. I could understand cocksman of the decade but that’s about it. He’s certainly the best skill game competitor of the last decade but there’s not much athleticism in what he does. Athletic ability usually comes with the appearance of a man who can beat someone in a fight. Athletic ability allows men to jump extremely high and throw basketballs down through hoops. Athletic ability allows you to run through tacklers and speed down sidelines. Skill is a different story. That allows men to hit golf balls and women to play basketball. Golf does not require athleticism; it requires goofy pants and a fat ass. Thanks, Happy. That being said I’m going to give out my decade awards for best athlete as well as many other awards that are just as meaningless as the AP’s honors.

Best Athlete: Michael Vick
I didn’t say best quarterback. I’m sure Keifer Sutherland’s character from a Time to Kill might have something to say about his accuracy and mental ability to read defenses. That’s not what I’m talking about. He was by far the best ATHLETE in sports over the past 10 years. What he was able to do at the college level and then the pro level was amazing to watch. His speed, agility and unbelievable arm strength, to be quite honest, are legendary. I think he was an okay QB for the Falcons but his sheer athleticism made him a factor each week and that translated to wins for Atlanta.

College Football Coach: Bob Stoops
Yes, Big Game Bob is a big “0-for” in his BCS games since taking it to FSU. However I’m going to look past that and see what he has done overall. First off, he brought premier talent to Norman, Oklahoma. What the fuck is there to do in Norman? Okie-Noodling? He single handedly buried Nebraska’s program and owned Texas for the better part of this decade. He’s built a program that will continue to thrive for at least one more decade. Yes, Urban and Pete Carroll have more titles but Bob is still worthy. Carroll is obviously a cheater and Urban’s success is built partly off what Stoops did in Gainesville back in 96 with Spurrier. Let’s not forget that he took care of business against FSU in the 2001 Orange Bowl, voiding the Seminoles and Miami of a joint national championship. God bless you, Bob.

Best Coach of someone else's talent: Les Miles
Close second goes to Urban Meyer and Roy Williams of UNC Basketball.

Most likely not to win with their own players if given a couple more years: Ron Zook and Matt Doherty

College Football Team: The Florida Gators
This is a close pick between Florida, USC, LSU, and Texas but Florida is the only team on this list I actually respect. The Gators had early success in the decade and then have finished with five solid years. The Gators weren’t consistent, but they’re the only 2 time champ on the list who didn’t have to share a title. Plus USC swept through this decades version of the 90’s ACC, LSU didn’t really win 1 legit title, and Texas only succeeded when Vince Young was under center and scrambling on broken plays.

College Football Player: Vince Young
Let’s be honest here. Tebow was certainly great but he was never capable of doing what VY did in the Rose Bowl against USC. He should have been a Heisman winner; somehow a big showing against a pitiful Fresno State team can win you the Heisman even though your teammate has rushed for more touchdowns, cough, Reggie Bush, cough, you were paid to play college football, cough.

Documentary about ghetto ass football players of the decade: The U
Did anyone else see this last week? “It was certainly entertaining in an I’m terrified of you people kinda way,” said Keifer Sutherland’s character from a Time to Kill. I’m not very conservative but Miami in the 80’s and early 90’s was wrong. That’s really the easiest way to say it; it was just wrong. There was nothing good about that program. Zero legitimate tradition. It’s easy to fill a stadium when you’ve got a winning team that 2 Live Crew financed. What I found very amusing was that the “u” could have won several more titles had it not been for their lack of discipline. Also I find it interesting that Randy Shannon was allegedly responsible for doling out the payoffs for the players. The documentary did not specify whether this happened when he was a player or when he was a graduate assistant. Now Shannon’s hiring sort of makes sense; I guess it’s good to “reconnect” the “u” and the city of Miami to their winning ways. It’s no surprise his hiring brought the resurgence of enrolling the locals considering he was allegedly the link between the local players and their payday. Also, think of the nerve on Randy Shannon to complain about Urban Meyer kicking that field goal late in the game last year. Really, Randy Shannon? You’re from the “u.” You aren’t supposed to be a whining baby. Just keep your trap shut and let all of your talented coordinators run the show while you pay your locals to be on the field.

Movie: Crash
No explanation needed but it barely edged out The Departed. No tickie, no laundry. I was also really tempted to put Avatar here but I’ll avoid being a prisoner of the moment. However Avatar was phenomenal. I came out of the movie theater thinking, “James Cameron just made George Lucas look like this biggest chump.” The Star Wars prequels were already terrible but Avatar made them look pitiful. The special effects were mind blowing. I’m really sick of the Academy leaving out blockbusters. Now that there are 10 nominees, Avatar should be able to slide in; it’s clearly the best movie I’ve seen in a long time.

TV Show: The Wire
Just watch the show if you have not and you’ll understand why this is the show of the decade. Many consider this to be the greatest cop show of all time and I agree. Dexter comes in a close second. It’s about a serial killer in Miami. What’s not to love? Here’s hoping that next season Dexter takes out the “u’s” head football coach. His kill room will be plastered with pictures of Brian Bosworth, Barry Switzer, Bobby Bowden, Deon Sanders, and other college football greats from the 80’s that the “u” cheated victories away from.

Scumbag of the Decade: Nick Saban
Something about Nick just rubs me the wrong way. He’s a bit greasy for one. Also it’s really easy to think that he’s cheating, because he probably is. I have no proof on paper but I have all the proof I need every time I look into his eyes.
Water Skier of the Decade: Ron Zook
Did I say water skier? I meant to say worst coach with a stuttering problem.

Pro Wrestler of the decade: The 1, 2, 3 Kid
I didn’t say which decade. Also this is just my way to mention the 1,2,3 Kid. He was actually horrible but he did make a sex tape with China this decade so why not give him the accolade. Honorable mention goes to Wild Man Marc Mero/Johnny B. Badd.


Compound Fracture of the Decade: Tyrone Prothro
Honorable mention goes to Sid. By the way, Sid is a competitive softball player. How random is that? I wonder what other former wrestling greats have gone on to random careers. It’d be awesome to go to the Olive Garden and have Stevie Ray from Harlem Heat take your order. When I said Olive Garden I meant Bojangles.


Must Watch Web: I was told to put this up. It’s a bunch of UF white girls rapping and cussing a lot so that’s kind of interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZovqDLWXtwg

Oh, FSU fans, here’s a link you might enjoy. I’m being serious this is actually pretty funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHf8Tc-yOuw


Random Thought of the Week: Dexter Spoiler Alert: Don’t read until you’ve seen the season 4 finale. What a way to end the season. I’m really hoping Rita isn’t dead; I’m thinking that maybe she just had the worst period of her life.

If you have any questions, comments, or hate mail, please email me at VoiceoftheGators@gmail.com. I want to get a consistent fan mail segment going so please drop a line.
Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/Voiceofthegator
You’ll get an update every time a new blog is up or when a documentary is made about BYU’s crime riddled national championship season.

The Voice of the Gators

No comments:

Post a Comment