Thursday, September 24, 2009

Take a Good Look in the Mirror, Gator Fans: Gator Arrogance and Great Moments Against Kentucky

Pardon my mediocre blogging this week; I may have come down with the flu. Enough excuses and more, well excuses. What did we learn against the Vols? Well we’re human, or at least obviously better than Tennessee but not to the point of embarrassment. They gave us a run but we learned a lot from the win. This win will hopefully serve as a wake up call like the Ole Miss game did last year, or like UNC was for FSU in 2001. Wait, that wasn’t like Ole Miss at all. FSU is still asleep…on board an oil tanker…with a drunk driving captain in waiting named Jimbo…heading straight for an ice berg off the coast of mediocrity. More on your huge victory against the Stormin Mormons later.
I still can’t believe Kiffin is talking after that game. He is by far a bad coach. His offense when it was successful was a complete copy of Alabama from the SEC championship game and at its worst showed his lack of discipline and patience as a play caller. Tennessee’s strong points came from his father, Monte, and it’s obvious. Without daddy, Lane, you’ve got nothing. You’re the George W. Bush of SEC football. Even better, you’re the Harry Osborne of SEC football, but Spiderman 3 didn’t suck nearly as bad as your offense against the Gators. Avenge me!

Back to formula?


You lost the game, so it’s time to be quiet. This isn’t the WWE where you lose your title shot and then talk your way into another match at Summerslam. This isn’t time to continue to call out Urban for discussing player illnesses. My guess is that the Gator loss will be a season peak for your team. It’s obvious that you spent the summer preparing for the Gators and only the Gators, and the loss to UCLA proved that. I’m sure your dad feels like Emperor Marcus Aurelius in the movie Gladiator embracing his pitifully-effeminate, power- hungry and genetically-watered-down son Commodus.

Losing to Florida vexes me. I'm terribly vexed.


Lane: You wrote to me once, listing the four chief coaching virtues: Wisdom, patience, fortitude and clock management. As I read the list, I knew I had none of them. But I have other virtues, father. Doucheyness. That can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. Arrogance, courage, perhaps not on the gridiron calling plays, but... there are many forms of courage. Devotion, to my family and to you, and to the Volunteers until Pete Carroll goes to the NFL. But none of my virtues were on your list. Even then it was as if you didn't want me for your son.
Monte: Lane, your faults as a son is my failure as a father.
John Reaves stumbles in drunk, throwing up all over the newly upholstered antique sofa, and the scene ends.
If you don’t know who John Reaves is and what he’s been up to, read this:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/orl-sportsjohn-reaves-18091809sep18,0,7759869.story


John Reaves


Still this was a good test for the Gators. The expectations of this game were eerily similar to the Miami Game from last year. We were huge favorites to the point it was disrespectful and motivating for our opponents. What do you think Miami and Tennessee would do if they were 20 plus point dogs? Yet this game is a perfect example of Gator arrogance. Gator arrogance has been spreading in the Southeast since Spurrier’s arrival and is now more prominent than illiteracy in the state of Florida and is actually inching closer to the numbers of same family marriage in Georgia. This is an illness, like alcoholism. We can’t help it. Ask John Reaves. This is what you get, turncoat. If you think Urban was rough on guys who go against the program… In all honesty we’re all glad you’re sober but take off the Tennessee shirt.
The arrogance is so bad to the point that I predicted a 77 point win over Tennessee last week. I must have been lying to myself or as drunk as John Reaves at beat the clock. When I predict the Gator scores, I will usually exaggerate on purpose for humor’s sake, but there is a certain amount of truth behind every joke. The arrogance clouds our judgment and makes us hide those bad feelings and suppress them into our subconscious, much like a sorority girl would after leaving Pike. I had some bad feelings about Tennessee last week but I was scared to admit it. Who would I have been to say I’m expecting a close game? I’d be a blasphemer. How dare you predict a pedestrian performance against a traditionally strong SEC opponent?
It was a frustrating game to sit through based on our arrogance. When we’re not playing well, we’ll vent and find ways to hide our poor performance. This past week we were all commenting on how terrible the commentators were. I must have screamed at Verne Lundquist 10 times during our frustrating performance last week. For the record he was terrible.
Only for a few years at the start of this decade did we really start facing reality, but it didn’t last long. Zook got us thinking straight. Thinking like losers, but thinking straight nonetheless. I more accurately predicted Gator football games during Zook’s tenure than Spurrier’s or Meyer’s. For Zook it was quite easy. Just pick us to lose the games we were supposed to win but that can of worms is for another blog. Now that I’m speaking candidly, let me use this one opportunity to let down my guard and briefly set aside my Gator arrogance and throw out some thoughts that I think many of us Gators are afraid to say.

1. We didn’t look that good against Tennessee. Period. We know this is true when we go around saying things like, “A win is a win,” or “1 and 0 in the SEC and that’s all that matters.” This is why Urban called it a great win against a great opponent after the game and then started bringing up the flu issue. Typical politics. I hate Kiffin but I agree with him on calling Urban out on this. Urban, you don’t need to play politics when you’re team is ranked number 1. Just win all the games and you’re fine, but if you lose one it’s over.

2. Our offense hasn’t been as good as Spurrier’s from the 90’s. Sure we scored more points than any other Gator team last year but it still wasn’t the same. I still don’t have the confidence in a Meyer offense that I had with Spurrier. The 90s offense was so much more calculated and consistent and I feel Meyer over-relies on his playmakers to create match-up problems. We saw what happened against UT when we were devoid of playmakers. I’m not trying to bash Meyer; I feel he is an overall better head coach than Spurrier but the offense isn’t as consistent.

3. Meyer is probably gone after this year. Search your feelings; you know it to be true. Why would he stay? He’s bound to have a down year and who wants to rebuild after winning a national title? I might be dropping the Gator arrogance but I still know that Florida is the clear cut favorite to win the national title this year. When will Meyer ever get to coach a Tim Tebow again? The NFL is the only place and what would be left to accomplish after a 3rd national championship? For the record, if anyone other than Charlie Strong took over, it would be a travesty. Can you believe he said he felt he wasn’t offered any head coaching jobs because of the negative stigma of having a white wife? Insert your favorite jungle fever joke here, because I’m not touching this one.

4. We weren’t that much better than Oklahoma in the national title game. They could have won that game and now all of a sudden Oklahoma doesn’t look so good, so how does that reflect on us? It doesn’t reflect but the thought is still there. If you don’t think Oklahoma could have won that game, you’re completely delusional. Speaking of Oklahoma, I really need to come up with an Indian nickname for Sam Bradford. “Chief” something or other. If you think of one please email it to me at Voiceofthegators@gmail.com.

5. The run is about to be over. Look at Miami earlier this decade, FSU in the 90s, and all great dynasties. It’s going to come to an end. Right now our team looks held together by the best senior class in Gator history and when that’s gone, it’s time to face reality. The dynasty will be over, at least for a couple years. How far will we fall? When will be back? Hopefully soon.

Some of this is hard to admit but I want to leave this topic with one final thought. Our arrogance could change the system one day. The BCS will eventually wrong the Gators. We might one day be left out in the cold like Texas last year, Michigan 2 years prior, Auburn before them, and USC and even Oregon in 2001. When that time comes, the Gator Nation of cry babies will speak up and all hell will break loose. Fan bases like Michigan and Texas may be polite but not the Gators. If we had been left out last year, we would have whined and cried and begged and pleaded until something happened. I truly believe when that time comes, a playoff would finally be set in motion. It feels good to come clean; which of the 12 steps is this, John? Snapping out of it.

So I was wrong about picking BYU over FSU. For the record I definitely felt FSU was probably going to win. I never said FSU will win, the pick was simply a slap in the face. You were underdogs to BYU; win or lose that’s pathetic.

USC is done for this year. Their offense is terrible and if you don’t believe it, look at tape of Pete Carrol from the Ohio State game. He was melting down and getting into his offensive coordinator’s business the whole game. He’s losing confidence and micromanaging. If they don’t get it together (they won’t), they will not be playing in the BCS this year.

What’s the deal with Miami? Are they the 9th best team? Maybe, but a win over FSU and a rebuilding GT shouldn’t constitute such a meteoric two-week jump. As I’ve said multiple times, they are capable of going 4 and 0 but don’t think OU and Va Tech aren’t paying attention. I like the Sooners to give the “u” a dose of reality. For the record I will not refer to them with a capital “U.” The University of Florida is the U. Thanks for one of the best Gator quotes ever, Louis Murphy. By the way, future D1 football parents. A player from the “u” was murdered just a couple years ago so maybe you should think that through for just a second before you continue your trend of whatever it is you call parenting.


Louis Murphy, ambassador for the real "U"


Now on with the show. The Gators travel to Kentucky this weekend, playing in what is an underestimated and often exciting SEC East series. It’s not a rivalry. They’d have to beat us within a 20 year period to call it that but they have given us more than enough scares in the past fifteen years to warrant this blog. Some of the most exciting games have been against Kentucky. For the record Florida has won 22 in a row against the Wildcats. FSU, what does your winning streak look like against Kentucky?

I give you my top five Florida Kentucky games. I’m not 60 so these will obviously be from the Spurrier coaching era on. Forget last year’s dismantling of Kentucky, here are some special games that have had some great significance for our program.

5. 2007: Just two years ago the Gators went to war with a veteran Kentucky squad. This back and forth battle was just one week after the Wildcats shockingly disposed of LSU. Kentucky was riding high and asking, “Why not us?” I think deep down Kentucky couldn’t mentally overcome the Gators. It’s hard to forget about 20 years of losing to the same team. You had to think the Gators had a chip on their shoulders, being ranked behind Kentucky in a rare turn of events. How can you forget Tebow connecting deep to Harvin late in the fourth quarter instead of trying to run out the clock?


4. 2002: In a game that had more special teams mistakes than a Pop Warner football game the Gators pulled out a thrilling 41-34 win in Gainesville that had me losing my mind. I actually remember verbally harassing a Kentucky fan until he quit cheering late in the 3rd quarter. How dare he? The Wildcats pulled within 5 after a punt return touchdown from Derrick Abney; however Keiwan Ratliff picked off a 2 point conversion pass from that fatso Jared Lorenzen returning it for two points to give the Gators a 7 point win.


Someone definitely ate his lil smokies for breakfast on gameday.


3. The year was 2003 and we didn’t realize that Chris Leak was a coward yet. He didn’t win the game all by himself, but he did prove that he was capable of leading a head-coach’s-job-saving fourth quarter comeback on the road. It’s hard to think Ron Zook would have had much job security if his Gators went 2-3 after the fifth game of his second season. Chris Leak rose to the occasion with as much poise as a freshman could have on the road, giving us 19 more games of Zook.


2. 1991: The Gators defeated Kentucky 35 to 26 to go undefeated in the SEC and lock up their first legitimate SEC championship. This was also the final SEC championship awarded without an SEC championship game, so there is some historical significance to this game. I also believe John Reaves coached this game sober, which was a first.


1. 1993: Need I explain? Some would say that the modern era of Gator football began that night. The legend of Danny Wuerffel certainly began as he connected with Chris Doering for a 28 yard td with 3 seconds left to overcome a miserable 59 minute and 57 second outing against the Cats. How did the Gators overcome a 7 interception performance to win on the road? Read the book of Revelations and maybe you’ll figure it out.
That brings us to the present day. Will UK give us a war? Or will we drop 70 en route to our 23rd straight win?


Game Expectations
I do expect the Gators to win big, but will it be to the extent of last year?


Obvious things to watch for this weekend…
How will the flu affect our guys? The one who concerns me is AJ Jones. We can’t afford to lose any starters to the flu and with Brandon Spikes battling his tendonitis, I don’t want to see any of our other linebackers operating below 100%.
Also will special teams deliver the same sort of pressure as last year? It seemed like any time Kentucky put a foot on the ball, a Gator was right there to block it.
Our running backs should run wild. Their personnel on defense are similar to Arkansas so expect a breakout performance for Rainey and Demps resembling last year’s game against the Razorbacks.
Finally will we be able to pass down field? I think yes and if we are not able to throw the ball 20 yards down field, I’d be truly concerned about our offensive ability.


Some not so obvious things to watch for…
I’m interested to see how the Gators defense holds Kentucky on 3rd down. We are not playing like a dominant defense yet and getting teams off the field fast is what we need to be doing to get the offense more snaps.
Game Prediction: Florida 49 Kentucky 9

Random Thoughts of the Week
I think Lane Kiffin really wishes he was Johnny from the Cobra Kai, but we all really know that he’s Tommy at best.

Tommy and then Johnny on the far right


The College Football Hall of Fame is moving to Atlanta. Somehow I don’t think white people will be doing the same.

Must Watch Web
Saturday Night Live is returning this week with Megan Fox. You probably hate SNL but they’ve got some really funny cast members.
Bitch Please!
http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/update-celebrity-blogger/1085169/
For the record I do have a man crush on Bill Hader. Enjoy.
http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/dateline/1061641/
Scared Straight
http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/scared-straight/1061547/
Karate Kid reference plus Silence of the Lambs reference equals solid gold.
http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/bad-guys-good-conversation/999064/

Fact of the Week
Our average margin of victory over Kentucky during this win streak is 20.14 points per game.

Weekend Football Forecast
Slap in the face pick of the week: USF over FSU. Guess what, FSU, I’m not done with you just yet. I’m still not buying it. You beat BYU, congratulations but now it’s personal. I’m picking USF over you. Is this a definitive statement that I think they’ll win? No, but I’m willing to sacrifice one of my picks to potentially embarrass you. Think of it, losing to USF. An incredibly proud Japanese man might resort to taking off his pinky with a small samurai sword for something so humiliating. I’m really hoping to jinx you on this because if you lose to USF, it’s over. All of the credibility will be gone, well what was left of it. You know you’re almost out of it when you score an upset win over BYU. This week you’ll probably win as they’re breaking in a new quarterback but I can tell you this, they’re better than Jax State or whoever you almost choked against 2 weeks ago. If you lose to USF I will mention it in every single blog I write for the rest of my life. I promise you that. 10 years from now I might be blogging about the anniversary of the Chris Benoit murder-suicide and I’ll sneak the USF reference in. Good luck though, you’re guaranteed to win.

Last week’s record: 7-3 including the Gator Game

Picks: SC over Ole Miss, Miss St. over LSU, Alabama over Arkansas (intriguing game), Virginia Tech over Miami (close), TCU over Clemson, Penn State over Iowa, Texas Tech over Houston, Georgia over Arizona State

Season Record: 19-11

Current Championship Predictions:
BCS/SEC: Florida
ACC: VT
Big East: Cincinnati
Big 10: Ohio State
Big 12: Texas
Pac 10: USC
BCS Buster: Notre Dame and Boise State
I’m going to keep USC as my Pac 10 champ until the Cal game.


If you have any questions, comments, or hate mail, please email me at VoiceoftheGators@gmail.com. I want to get a fan mail segment going so please drop a line.
Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/Voiceofthegator
You’ll get an update every time a new blog is up or when another FSU player gets a Heisman-ruining bargain at a Tallahassee area Dillards. Until next time, go Gators!

The Voice of the Gators

1 comment:

  1. Funny. Honest. Generally, a good post. The Gladiator reference is, well, great. But I have to chime in with some thoughts: What happened to the Heisman Domino game, huh? You're wrong about Miami, Houston, and Penn State. FSU is going to rectally relieve the Bulls on Saturday. Trust. Sam Bradford does need a nickname...I suggest Buffalo Jockey, Johnny Redcorn, Wahoo, Maize-Muncher--you can see more at the Racial Slur Database (www.rsdb.org).

    ReplyDelete